Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly Wednesday discussion focusing on five questions about books run by Goodreads. You can find the thread here ➜ https://bit.ly/1kmldQ6
Question for September 19th: Classics I Wish Had Modern Adaptations. What an interesting question! There are so many books that I could talk about and discuss but I’m definitely going to go with some of my childhood favorites!
1. The story of Persephone and Hades. I don’t know about you but growing up and even now, I love Greek mythology and one of my FAVORITE stories ever is the story of how the Goddess of Spring and the King of the Underworld came to be together. Out of all the Greek Gods stories, Hades really isn’t that bad which has always struck me odd considering he’s the God of the dead but go figure! I think retold as a modern tale, in a modern setting especially in book form would be really, really cool. There isn’t a book about them yet BUT there is this really weekly web comic that is set in modern times that I adore! Check it out here: Lore Olympus
2. One Thousand and One Nights! There are so many different types of stories in here that if you really think about it, COULD connect together to make one epic book! Mix all those stories together like Aladdin, Sinbad, Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves etc and give it a modern twist and I think it would be really, really cool.
3. Pride and Prejudice! I would LOVE to have Pride and Prejudice re-imagined as a rom-com YA book either set in High School or maybe even in college would make the perfect angsty romance book. Plus I feel like there need to be more rom-com movies based on rom com books so let’s produce more of them!
4. Romeo and Juliet. Okay, okay I KNOW what you’re thinking: there is already a modern telling of Romeo and Juliet, the movie that Leonardo Dicaprio did BUT there isn’t a book version! At least not that I know of! But I would love a modern re-telling of a romance book focused on Romeo and Juliet in modern terms.
5. The Great Gatsby. People either love or can’t stand The Great Gatsby, for me it’s one of those books that made me really fall in love with reading and helped shaped me as a person. Gatsby is about a man who fell so in love with a woman that he literally did everything he thought of to win her heart, add a classic re-telling of that and make it a romance book and BOOM.
Those are my picks for Top 5 Wednesday: Classics I Wish Had Modern Adaptations! What Classics Modern Adaptations would you want to read? Let me know!